Perth Style x TWD #MBFW Australia Top 3 Looks

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Good Evening My Loves,

I'm SO excited to share with you my collaboration with Jordana Ripp, of Australian fashion bible Perth Style, for our coverage of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia 2014 this past week. Jordana and I met through the blogosphere after she discovered my portrait of Kelly Cutrone about a year ago. When she made her way to NYC this past July, we promptly met for a fantastic West Village dinner at Cafe Cluny, followed by drinks, dancing in the rain, an interview with me on Perth Style...and well, the rest is history! With all the buzz swirling over Australian fashion these days, I knew exactly who to call upon to cover last weeks shows with me. I absolutely adore Jordana, and not just for her impeccable sartorial eye. Check out her Top 3 picks from the week illustrated below:

Alice McCall

Jordana: "Alice McCall is very feminine and sexy but with a youthful sort of seductive innocence that resonates through each collection. This AM look has flirty flow that I adore and is very much in that borderline effortless lingerie look that is trending at the moment."

Me: For each illustration I tried to find an element from the runway show that felt novel and iconic. With Alice McCall it was undoubtedly the watercolor, pop art, lip print she had appearing throughout the collection. It felt fresh and quirky which I loved.


Talulah

Jordana: "Talulah always produces fun pieces that just make you want to live at the beach. They have a strong swimwear and coverups line, as well as a ready to wear, that often have fun, prominent, intermingling prints. Talulah is such a great Aussie lifestyle example of fusing trending fashion with the laid back beach/holiday vibe. The look I chose was super fun, almost summertime festival chic - I thought the styling was really well done too."

Me: For Talulah it was clearly all about the funky layers of jewelry and that great, graphic print. To complement the illustration I took reference from their animal pattern to add a little more contrast to the look.

Toni Maticevski

Jordana: "Toni Maticevski's work is clean, modern, beautiful and detailed - very sophisticated and elegant. This particular look I chose is classic TM but I love that it's a little edgier with a mid-drift cut and exaggerated slit."

Me: Toni's show ended with his girls walking down the runway with flowers in their mouthes. It became a Top 10 "need to know" from #MBFWA on Vogue Australia. I knew for this illustration I had to incorporate the girls' edible orchids.

And there you have Perth Style x TWD #MBFW Australia Top 3 Looks rounded up. I'm so excited to show all the new content I have coming up for the blog (including a very imminent blog design update!!). Stay tuned.

Much love,
Meag xx

6 comments:

  1. Very nice illustrations! I really like the sketch of Toni's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @sampsonNYC thanks so much for the sweet words!! The TM collection was divine, totally suited to the NYC girl xx

      Delete
  2. super coll sketches
    kisses,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pooja Mittal thank you so much, you're so sweet xx

      Delete
  3. YOU ARE INCREDIBLE! Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog, I'm flattered really. I certainly share your passion dear and I hope I will get into FIT too. Its been my dream since I could remember. I enjoy illustrating, but I need to learn to work with color now, I'm dedicating some time this year for that now. Maybe you could give me some tips! I hope to get into their Fabric Styling program. My parents grew up in the city and I grew up on LI and could not imagine attending art school anywhere but NYC. Please keep in touch, I'd love to chat more! I followed you back on GFC and also on FB, Instagram and Twitter if you'd like to connect there too.

    i can’t afford my lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cassandra Dotzel amazing!! So happy to hear you are planning on going to FIT!! If you have any questions just email me at mmillustrations@gmail.com :) I work with some people from the fabric styling program and they loved it. You get to learn such amazing stuff in that program. I'm so very excited for you. Going to FIT was one of the greatest experiences of my life xx

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground